Hello all,
I tried modifying the open command ar suggested and got the enclosed
errors.  Also, I'm working with Activestate Activeperl 5.6 on a Windows
2000.  Also, from the syntax of the readdir example, the test is to the
left of the readdir command.  Does this mean  I should place my file
processing block to the left of the readdir command.  That would be one
ugly statement.

Thanks for all the help.

-Ganesh

snippet:

use warnings;
use strict;

my @files = ();
my $folder = 'input';
# Open the input folder
unless (opendir(FOLDER, $folder)) {
        print "Cannot open folder $folder!\n\n";
        exit;
}

#read the contents of the folder (files and subfolders)

chdir($folder); #added this line after failing with open commands below.

print "Switching to folder  $folder!\n\n"; # It's going to the correct
folder

@files = readdir(FOLDER);

#Close the folder

print "\n\n Here are the files in the folder\n";
#print out the filenames, one per line
print join( "\n", @files), "\n";# Prints out correct filenames

closedir(FOLDER);

foreach my $seqfilename (@files){

        $seqfilename = '';
        open (TXTFILE,"<$seqfilename") or die $!; #dies on this line.Replace with
        open (TXTFILE,"<$folder/$seqfilename") or die $!; #Invalid argument at this
line.  Replace with
        open (TXTFILE,"<$folder\$seqfilename") or die $!; #No such file or directory
error at this line
close TXTFILE;

my @seqelements = <TXTFILE>;

...........goes on from here
I know the conversion routine works, because it worked
when I specified a single file
--
  Ganesh Shankar
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]