I'm sure this is easy but I'm a newbie. I was doing control statements (for, while,etc.) like this:

for ($count = 1; $count <= 5; $count++) {
                                         print "$count\n";
}

What I wanted to do was to make each number appear in sequence like you see in a countdown (or up, in this case) instead of all on the screen at once. I've tried using sleep but I'm not getting anywhere with it. Any ideas? Also, any methods or ideas on how to approach creating code in general? For example, what's the thought process for trying to do what I want to do? I've tried pseudo code and it's helped some but then I hit the wall and don't how to go further. Thanks!