Douglas> I am trying to initialize a dynamically-named array,
Douglas> i.e. with the following test code (if I type "script.pl char"
Douglas> at the command prompt) I get the message "array char contains
Douglas> 1 2 3" but I get a warning if 'use strict' is on. Can anyone
Douglas> show me how it should be done (I would like to use 'use
Douglas> strict'!)?

It should be done by not doing it.  Do not use data to define metadata (like
variable names).  Down that path lies madness.  "use strict" is trying
to keep you from going mad.

Probably what you are looking for is a hash containing arrayrefs,
pointing at your real data.