On Thursday, Nov 20, 2003, at 11:25 US/Pacific, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote: [..]
I'd like to open perl and execute a few commands interactively in the
console. I learn a lot in python this way, and I need to understand some
perl code. Did this kind of thing ever get added to perl?
[..]

first off compliments to the previous responders,
there is the minor 'glitch' with the 'just use per'
namely I can't quite get the AUTOFLUSH to send output,
[jeeves: 9:] perl
my $i=3;
my $j = 4;
my $k = $i + $j;
print "k is $k\n";
k is 7
[jeeves: 10:]
that print statement did not come out till I did the ^D
even when I tried the traditional "$|=1";

So I'd like to recommend my standard alternative,
namely have a couple of basic templates for basic
shell script structures and 'whip out the idea'
and see if it flies. I use BBedit on a Mac running OSX
so it's painfully simple for me, it has a 'run' button
that will allow me to 'just execute it'.

but I use to do that the old fashion way with vi on *nix boxes.
{ where one had the file in vi in one window, editing, and
another window where one did the "!./" - to 'rerun' the previously
locally executed command... }

That is also what drives me to 'think' in terms of

        sub some_subname_here
        {
                my () = @_;

Since I can play with an idea, if it is really
usefulish, it is already nested in a 'sub', and
then it is merely a matter of finding a 'home'
for it in some appropriate Perl Module...

Your mileage may vary, consult a physician,
void where prohibited by law, etc, etc, etc...

ciao
drieux

---

-- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]