I got it thanks. I see my mistake..
wow this list is nice..

Thanks again
newbie

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 14:10, Eric Walker wrote:

    OK hash should look like this.

    M ->anonhash
                 a -> value;
                 b->  value;
                 c->  value;

    does that help?

    On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 14:04, Bob Showalter wrote:

        Eric Walker wrote:
        > Hey all I know I have been told but I can't seem to access this hash.
        > Can anyone look and see why I can't print out any values.  The print
        > item statement works and prints out the first level of the hash.
        > I send in a pointer to $data and $rule.
        >
        > sub COMMENTSYNC{
        > my($rule,$data) = @_;
        > my($crule,$temp,@map,$count);
        > foreach my $item (keys %{$$data}){

        Here you're using $data as a reference to a scalar (which is in turn a
        reference to a hash). Is that really what $data is?

        >          print  %{$$data{$item}{'rule_desc'}} . "\n";

        Here you're using $data as a reference to a hash. To be consistent with the
        usage above, you would write that as $$data->{$item}. Also, why are you
        trying to print a hash? That's odd.

        >          #print $item . "\n"; }

        Show us your data, and show us what you expect to be printed. I can't figure
        out what's going on. But then again, I'm not real smart.