On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 01:39:43PM -0500 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find (hopefully a freeware
> or shareware script..) a program that runs either on a windows system or
> a PERL script that would "encrypt" a perl script by doing such things as
> removing whitespace, etc. so that it is much more difficult to read but
> yet will execute as if "unencrypted"?? I'd like to make the source code
> as difficult to pirate as I can for a program that I'm developing.

Those attempts are usually futile since compiled Perl-code can be
deparsed. Of course, when those pirates you have in mind are a little
retarded, you could use one of those many Acme:: or Acme-alike modules
on the CPAN. I quite like SuperPython. This line transforms any Perl
script into a script that can be run by SuperPython:

    perl -ne 's/(.)/" " x ord($1)."\t"/ge; print' script.pl > script.spy

And in order to execute it, either do a

    perl -MSuperPython script.spy

or add 'use SuperPython;' on top of the encrypted script.

But note that

    perl -MO=Deparse -MSuperPython script.spy

would for instance yield

    BEGIN { $^W = 1; }
    use SuperPython;
    my $code = sub {
        my $arg1 = shift @_;
        sub {
            $arg1 + shift(@_);
        }
        ;
    }
    ;
    print &$code(5)->(6);

which could easily be more readable than the original script was.

Tassilo