Hi,

I'm trying to use perl for most shell stuff and this is some of the stuff I'm using for grep ..

perl -ne 'print "$ARGV: $_" if /jerry/i ' *
perl -ne 'print  if /jer{1,}y/i ' *
perl -ne 'print  unless /jer{1,}y/i ' *

I'm enjoying this as I can do a lot more than I can with the old egrep on our Solaris boxes..

What I'd like to do is to make a simple change NOT to check in binary files and directories..

I've toyed with all sorts of variations and started like this.

perl -ne '-f &&print if /satreq/ ' * # Don't laugh this is one of very many attempts ;-((

Then I tried this:

perl -ne 'if(/rcn/) {print "$ARGV: $_" unless -d}' *

Which seems to do the trick but this is just excluding directories I think..

But this gives me the same:

perl -ne 'if(/.it/) {print "$ARGV: $_" unless -f}' *

How do I improve it to ONLY look in text files ?

I don't want to use the grep.pl's around or the grep from power tools, I want to impress the ladies by typing these on the CLI ;-)) Seriously, I love one liners..

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

-- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]