http://poe.perl.org

Maybe this would be a good job for POE?

-Tom Kinzer

-----Original Message-----
From: Akens, Anthony [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 7:49 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Timing several processes

Hi all!

I'm wanting to write a simple web-based tool to see the status
of several servers at a glance.  I know there are many solutions
existing, but I can't learn as much about perl by just using one
of those as I can by writing my own.  The first step I want to do
is call a script from cron that runs several basic monitoring tools
(sar, vmstat, df, iostat, etc) and saves the output of each to a
file. Then I'd parse those files up, and write a summary file.

Easy enough.  And I could certainly do it with by calling the tools
one at a time.  However, I'd like to get roughly 1 minute of vmstat,
iostat, and sar output.... Simultaneously.  So I'm supposing I'd
want to fork off each process, and then when those are all done
come back and run a script that then parses those results out for
the individual statistics I'm looking for.

I've never used fork before, and while it looks fairly straight
forward what I am not sure of is how to make sure all of those forked
processes have completed before moving on and parsing the files.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance

-Tony