It was Thursday, December 04, 2003 when Bakken, Luke took the soap box, saying:
: > It was Thursday, December 04, 2003 when Bakken, Luke took the
: > soap box, saying:
: > : > how they were monitoring and/or determining this.  Basically,
: > : > I would like
: > : > help with a Perl test script to use memory until Perl reaches
: > : > it's memory
: > : > limit.  This will help me to know when I have things right so
: > : > I don't have
: > : > to keep going back to the end users and tell them "OK,
: > try it now".
: > : >         Thanks in advance for any help.
: > :
: > : use strict;
: > : my $bigbuf;
: > : my $buf;
: > : open IN, '/dev/random' or die "Can't open random device: $!";
: > : while( read(IN, $buf, 16384) > 0 ) {
: > :         $bigbuf .= $buf;
: > : }
: >
: > The original poster was having trouble with data from Oracle, not the
: > filesystem.  I'm not quite sure what you're trying to demonstrate
: > here.
:
: "Basically, I would like help with a Perl test script to use memory
: until Perl reaches it's memory limit."

I missed that part, yes.

: That is exactly what this bit of code does - it fills $bigbuf with data
: in 16K chunks until the OS kills it for using too much memory.

Excellent.

  Casey West

--
Good Idea: Playing the piccolo in a marching band.
Bad Idea:  Playing the piano in a marching band.