Hi Dan,

have you tried using a regular expression?
I am using something like this for a similar purpose:

<not syntax-checked and quite ugly perl code>

open ($fh, $filename);
# go through each line of the file
while ($_ = <$fh>) {
    # replace globally in the default variable $_
    s/#INSERT#TEXT#HERE/$text_to_insert/g;
}
close ($fh);

</perl code>

Search for "perlre" in perl-doc for more information.

HTH,

Philipp Traeder