Kevin Goodsell wrote:

> Third, only in relatively bad cases will GIF require a byte for every
> pixel. For example, I just created a solid white 200 by 200 image.
> That's 40,000 pixels. The file size is 345 bytes. One byte per pixel is
> what you would get if no compression was used at all (probably what
> happened in this case, but not what happens in general), or if the
> compression performed so badly that it might as well have not been used
> (which is rare for typical images).
>
> -Kevin

Seriously?  I guess I was going by what I have seen in full-color images.  I
may have dismissed the GIF protocol too quickly, when I was doing a lot of
graphics work.  I'll take another look at it.  I notice now that I can
easily raise information on the format through Google, which wasn't really
the case when I last looked for background on graphics encoding.

Joseph