On Dec 8, 2003, at 1:33 AM, Jane Langley wrote: [..]
I am interested in using Perl to generate proper
English grammatical sentences from a set "list of
words" and NOT from texts.
[..]

I think a part of the problem is sorting out
what "proper english grammatical sentences" be
about in the first place.

One of the reasons that we code in 'formal languages'
is to AVOID all the unsightly angst of 'natural languages'.

The classic gag being

"over the fence the cow some hay throw"

which uses an 'english' lexicon, but a 'german' grammar.
Most americans would reconstruct that sentance a la

throw the hay over the fence 'to' the cow.

as you will note from

<http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-perl-speak.html>

you will probably want to get yourself
Parse::RecDescent as you start sorting