I think that we've drifted a little from the topic, which was more or
less to get a feel for the people on this list and where they are in
their education, not to get in a "university vs. self-teaching"
argument.  Personally I don't think it would be pragmatic for most
Perlers out there to learn enough number theory to write their own
hashing algorithm any more than a contractor needs to understand the
chemical composition of the concrete he pours, and if you'll allow me to
continue the analogy a bit further, it also doesn't mean that he can't
buy the same textbooks and learn that information.  I will admit that
the level of dedication and self-sacrifice required is exceedingly rare,
and I'm stretching the analogy pretty thin anyway, so I'll leave it
there.