in korn it would be:

export PATH=$(add_path):$PATH

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 3:20 PM
To: drieux
Cc: Perl Perl
Subject: Re: adding path to $PATH

drieux writes:

 > On Dec 9, 2003, at 10:09 PM, Pablo Cusnir wrote:
 >
 > > Is there a way using Perl to add to the environment
 > > variable PATH a new path, and that addition will be
 > > valid after the script is ran and not only for the script's scope.
 > > I'm working in cshell in Solaris 5.8
 >
 > let me see IF I get your idea.
 >
 > I have a command say "add_path"  so that
 > you could do something like
 >
 >      vladimir: 70:] echo $PATH
 >      /usr/local/bin:/usr/X/bin:/usr/bin
 >      vladimir: 71:] add_path
 >      vladimir: 72:] echo $PATH
 >      /happy/place/here:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X/bin:/usr/bin
 >      vladimir: 73:]
 >
 > that's not really going to happen, since you want to
 > change the environment of the currently running process
 > by having a sub-process 'signal it'...

I am not a c-shell guy, but in then Bourne shell, or in bash, you
could accomplish what you want in a similar fashion thus:

    # instead of "add_path" being called directly, you can do this:
    export PATH=`add_path`:$PATH

The back-quotes perform what lispers call a "splice macro".  The value
that is returned on add_path's stdout replaces the text or `add_path`
so that it does what you want.  So add_path might look something like
this:

    #!/bin/bash

    # add_path -- return a path to add to PATH

    echo /some/unusual/path:/another/one:/and/so/forth

I know there is a similar construct in csh, but I do not remember what
it is.

I hope this is at least some help.