John Fitzgerald wrote:

> Hi, I'm fairly new to Perl, and trying to do a simple
> operation on a text file exported from excel.
> ID      Enrolled     Extraneous Columns....
> 3008 05-Aug-03
> 3008 05-Aug-03
> 3008 05-Aug-03
> 3008 05-Aug-03
> 3008 24-Sep-03
> 3009 11-Aug-03
> 3010 19-Nov-03
> 3010 11-Jul-03
> 3010 11-Jul-03
> 3010 11-Jul-03
> 3011 15-Jul-03
>
> As you can see, the dates for a given ID are
> different. What I need to do, is set the dates all to
> the earliest date for that ID (client-birth date). The
> other columns are are important, but don't factor in
> here.

Hi John.

First, you need to decide what the output is to be. Do you
just want a list like:

3008    01-Jan-1970
3009    01-Jan-1970
3010    01-Jan-1970
3011    01-Jan-1970

with each date set to the earliest found? Or do you also need
the 'Extraneous Columns'?

Second: do you have a copy of Date::Calc installed?

  perldoc Date::Calc

will tell you if you don't know.

Then you need to know how to use hashes. But let us know
the other stuff first :)

Rob