On Dec 17, 2003, at 10:40 AM, Wiggins d Anconia wrote: [..]
Ah! And now we have come full circle back to "Why you should use a
module to handle this type of code rather than re-inventing the wheel!"....
[..]

technically I agree with you. In terms of code re-use
and code maintainability. So it sorta depends upon
what the 'real goal' is all about...

There is also the minor point,
that some times doing silly things that
are better covered in an already established
module will help folks 'get it' about what
they are doing and how they can do things.

In this case steve Thought that his problem
was with his lack of knowledge about 'regular expression'
and how to do that. When his issue was with how to
effectively use split() - one of the variants that
he could have used of course would have been

my ($uid,$pid,$ppid,$c,$stime,$tty,$time,$cmd,@args) = split;

But that would have meant dealing with @args problem
where he needed to find TWO things in an array in a
given order, rather than merely regExing a longer scalar.

ciao
drieux

---