On Jan 05 12:13, Ramprasad A Padmanabhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But why do you want to do it in perl ( why not rm  -f  $dir/* $dir/.* )
> , If you are removing all the 4000 files everytime it might make sense
> to remove the entire directory and recreate it.
>

> Ram

That is what I thought initially, but I ran into "Argument list too long" errors, so I
think there is a limit of the number of returns from a wildcard (to avoid overrunning?
 I guess).  The idea of loading it all into an array and deleting it one at a time
makes sense, but only half of the 4000 entries are being loaded into DIR.  I can't
just blow away and recreate the folder as it is shared via samba and netatalk, and the
clients' mount mappings would break.

Charles