> I've created a module that I am planning on eventually releasing to CPAN
> which provides a good framework for debugging.  Basically you can have
> your code report 4 types of warnings:
>
> INFO
> WARNING
> ERROR
> FATAL_ERROR
>
> You can also assign a "class" to each and turn on or off all of one type
> or all of one subclass of one type.  Everything either records to a log
> file or prints to STDERR, and I am going to (eventually) add the
> capability to e-mail the log of errors to an admin.  (So if you create a
> program and your users do something unexpected you can have them send
> you a readout of exactly what happened).  And I've got a bunch of other
> ideas (i.e. HTML output) that I may implement when I finally manage to
> getting around to see if I can put it on CPAN.
>
> It's written in pure perl and GPLed.  e-mail me if you'd like me to send
> you over a copy.  It's still being developed though.
>
> -Dan
>

>From your description this sounds very similar to Log4perl (a Log4j Perl
implementation) have you checked it out to see what may already be
available, if for no other reason than to borrow from?

Certainly not trying to discredit your efforts, just spreading the
log4perl wealth, I have found it incredibly robust while at the same
time being complex enough to handle some intricate tasks.

http://log4perl.sf.net

For more information, be sure to check out the "retire your debugger"
article....

Good luck,

http://danconia.org