> Okay, I redid it so it looks like this...
>
> `grep -v "STUFF:STUFF" file1 > file2`;  (I am looking for the string
> STUFF:STUFF and that didn't work...  but it works via command line...
>
> Any ideas?

What is the "real" goal?  Aka why are you shelling out to grep in the
first place?  As a side note you should be using full paths for grep,
file1, file2, and you should be checking the return code of the command.
Also it seems silly to use backticks if you are piping STDOUT to a file.

http://danconia.org