On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 02:32:25PM -0500 Dan Anderson wrote:
> I've read the tutorial on creating a Makefile.PL for a module I'm
> submitting to CPAN, and I've applied for a PAUSE ID, but I was curious
> if anyone whos been through the process before knows of any pit falls I
> should be careful of, or any suggestions on how to make my life easier.

A thing you should never do is creating the structure of a module
yourself. Let perl do that for you by doing

    h2xs -A -X -n Module::Name

This will create the outline of your module (including Makefile.PL) and
you just have to make the appropriate changes. Also, don't forget to put
the tests in the t/ directory.

Creating the tarball should ultimately be done with

    make dist

Thus you can be sure not to violate any CPAN conventions.

It's also a good idea to consider back to which version of perl your
module should run. If you pass '-b 5.5.3' to h2xs the module draft only
uses features that can be understood by versions as old as 5.00503. In
my experience, there is rarely the need to use bleeding-edge features in
a module.

Tassilo