On Jan 18, 2004, at 5:20 PM, danield wrote:

Hello all,

I am looking for an advice or suggestion in this task:

I do have a Perl script which contains 2 variables ($low, $high). The
value assigned to them depends on which day am I running that Perl
script. Moreover, the variable $low has always be the first day of the
previous month and similarly the variable $high the last day of the
previous month.

For instance:
If I run this script today (2004, January 18), the low should be (18
days of current month + total days of previous month (2003, December
(31)))= 49. The $high
would get (how many days ago was the last day of the previous month) =
18.

$low = 49
$high = 18

If I understand the request correctly, the following seems to work:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

my $high = (localtime)[3];
my $low = (localtime time - $high * 24 * 60 * 60)[3] + $high;

print "Low: $low, High: $high\n";

__END__

Hope that helps.

James