This is what I do..  The only difference I see is that you haven't logged
on..
   my $rmhost = new Net::Telnet (Host => $nodesrch,  Timeout => 100 );
     $rmhost->login($uname_EGATE, $passwd_EGATE);
       $cat_command='cat ./data/journal/chopler';
          @cat_result=$rmhost->cmd($cat_command);
           print  @cat_result;

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]