On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 13:18, Dan Muey wrote:
> There are always comments like "you can slurp the file as
> long as it's not too big" or "becareful not to slurp a
> really big file or you'll be in trouble".

I'd like to add that some of it depends on swap space.  I've slurped
well past physical memory and most of it went to swap.  Although the
script was significantly lower it still ran.  However, if you get to a
certain point your machine -- no matter what OS you are running -- will
crash and burn.  Of course, this is *if* you can get to that level.
Users of *BSD systems with limit installed know that if your process
eats too much memory IT will die and not the system.

-Dan