James Edward Gray II wrote:

>On Jan 29, 2004, at 2:18 AM, Jan Eden wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if I could store all this in one hash:
>
>I bet you can.  I'm an optimist.  ;)
>
>I haven't been following this thread too closely, but let's just think
>about it in the general sense.  What you basically has is a lot of
>information about specific authors, right?  Can we shove an author in a
>hash?  Sure:

I do not have much information about a single author, it's basically just his first
and last name (which is used in different orders - John Doe and Doe, John). I used two
hashes for the authors because I am lazy.

But I agree that I could use a single %authors hash instead of %authors_indexlines and
%authors_headlines, where the keys consist of a combination of first and last name
(converted to 7-bit without white space, as I have it now). The values would consist
of references to two-element hashes (first and last name).

Putting my @alphabet_index into the write subroutine, I'd be down to four variables
(%authors, %gedichte, @gedicht_letters and @author_letters).

The lasst two arrays are necessary and I doubt that my script would be more efficient
when merging the %authors and %gedichte. But I'll fiddle some more.

>Well, hopefully that'll give you some new ideas.

Always grateful for your help,

jan
--
Common sense is what tells you that the world is flat.