On Feb 4, 2004, at 10:23 AM, Rob Dixon wrote: [..]
Disabling output buffering in Perl should be seen as
a nicety that helps debugging, but not much else. Only
a hardware solution can guard against losing power at the wrong time.

Minor Nit, yes I know that the thread has been about disk and/or filesystem I/O - but the need to disable output buffering becomes very important when one is doing client-server code over a socket and/or pipe.

Nothing like having one side waiting for the otherside
to do something - but the message did not get sent because
it is sitting in a buffer waiting to be flushed...

ciao drieux

---