On Tuesday 10 Feb 2004 10:41 pm, Wiggins d Anconia wrote:
> > On Feb 10, 2004, at 3:29 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> >
> > Hello again.
> >
> > [snipped history]
> I hate beating a dead horse... but this discussion of your callbacks and
> triggering events that are caught by a main controller, is exactly the
> type of thing POE was designed to handle.  Essentially a central kernel
> is running and dispatches events that happen elsewhere in the app to
> their event handlers. Which works for gui events as well as other
> environment changes (aka like the polling mentioned above).  Within
> individual object sessions other events can be sent to other sessions in
> a callback manner based on the session name through the kernel which
> controls all sessions, so keeping objects tied to each other directly
> isn't necessary, the running kernel does it for you.
>
> You may also want to check out (not sure if I have mentioned it before)
> Event.pm, though I prefer POE's complete buildout....
>
> http://danconia.org

Hi,

You're not beating a dead horse, and I haven't forgotten your suggestion.
It's just that last time I looked at POE, I got brain ache.

The other reason I've tried to avoid POE is that I want my package to have as
few dependancies as possible.  I intend once it's finished to make it
available for others to use and therefore want the installation to be as
painless as possible.

The only area I'm currently concerned about is the Model radio controller as I
haven't actually had my hands on one yet, and don't know what the
communications methods is yet.  If it's something like a standards serial
cable link then I may need to use POE to drive this.

The argument against Event.pm is the same one as POE, but I will look into it
if the need arrises.

Thanks again for your comments.
--
Gary Stainburn