William M West wrote:

> >Is there any separate reason to use 'expect'? Perl will happily
> >talk telnet and ftp on its own.
> >
> >Rob
>

> well- namely that it works- i honestly don't know /how/ to get perl
> to talk telnet *laugh*  i guess the proper module would help.
>
> i will investigate this possibility and see what happens :)

You need Net::FTP and/or Net::Telnet.

In my experience it's always better to solve a problem natively
in Perl than to shell out to another application. That way
everything that happens is under your control and the bugs
will be easier to find. I'm certain that, unless there's
a separate reason to use 'expect', you'd be better off
using straight Perl than getting Perl to run ftp (or telnet)
via expect.

Come back if you need any help with the modules.

Rob