> >             $k=1;
> >             while($k<(($i-1)*5+$j)){
>
> Pop quiz time.  What's easier to read, the above or this:
>
> while( $k < ( ( $i - 1 ) * 5 + $j ) ) {
>
> We won't bill you for the whitespace.  ;)

That is of course assuming that *indiscriminate* padding with
spaces increases readability.

while( $k <(( $i-1 )*5 +$j) ) {

Use the spaces to visibly enhance grouping, and even to provide
visual clues as to the indended (expected?) operator precedence.

If there were even more in that look expression, especially '? :'
expressions,  throw in newlines.  They're free too!

J u s t    m y     2 c     w o r t h . : - )