On Friday 05 March 2004 02:03, Sumit Kaur generously enriched virtual reallity
by making up this one:

> Hi,

Hi,

> I have to write my first Perl script . This scripts Searches for rare =
> codons in nucleotide sequence . The nucleotide sequence is entered by =
> the user in the format "ATTGCAA.." and then the program breaks this =
> sequence in the groups of three alphabets like ATT,GCA...so no.=20
>
> Please suggest .

I first of all suggest you use new subject line...
Then: read Learning perl by Randal Schwartz and Tom Phoenix and tell us if you
are learning perl as a first language or allready know about control
structures, filehandles and regluar expressions....

Then: what do you mean by "rare" - do you want the program to figure out, what
the least frequent codons are and list/count/whatever them or do you have a
prior definition of rare. Further (given your example above):

ATTGCAA
ATT
   TTG
      TGC

are all these codons or do you assume your user supplied sequence starts
somewhere you know and goes on in triplets from there on? (That is, does the
user supply only exons starting with the start tripplet?)

Once you get past the first steps: look at the bioperl modules at cpan and at
www.Bioperl.org

Enjoy  -Wolf