> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Saturday, 6 March 2004 1:29 PM
> To: perl
> Subject: Re: hi!!

I've changed your subject to be more appropriate to the question asked.

> This is off topic, but is cygwin just the ports of GNU
> software for windows,
> or is it an actual command line interface that simulates linux?

Since cygwin contains a port of perl which many of us use, its probably
not that far off topic :-)

The short answer is -  somewhere in between.

All the individual ported commands are windows EXE's, which can
be run stand-alone, or put into your path.  However they have
been tweaked work closely together and to make common assumptions.
One of these is to assume '/' is a directory of your hard drive
(such as c:\cygwin) and all drive letters are 'mounted' as
filesystems relative to /cygdrive/...

The BASH (bash?) shell has been ported, and once you launch
the shell, with appropriate variable settings and .profile
you are in an environment which feels very much like unix, and
probably a lot like linux.  Except for the fact you are in a
windows COMMAND shell window, you couldn't tell the difference.

Then, to top it off, an Icon is placed onto your desktop which
launches /sbin/bash from the cygwin directory, and voila, you
are in a unix-like environment.

The port is sufficiently comprehensive, that with the GNOME modules
and networking modules, you could fool someone into thinking you
are running linux, complete with X-based login screen and
gnome desktop.

Cheers.
David