--- "R. Joseph Newton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stuart White wrote:
<snip>

> I don't think so:

...<snip>

> The only place a colon split splits is where you
> have a colon.

That was MY typo.  Oops.  In the book there is a colon
after merlyn, not a question mark.  Irrespective of
that, I was still trying to figure how that worked
with split and why my example wasn't.  I'm reasonably
sure that I've figured that out now though.

> > > These first two make sense, pretty much.  I
> think
> > > this is one place where $team1
> > > and $team2 might be more sensible, though it is
> even
> > > better, if there is some
> > > order to which team is listed first in the
> pairing,
> > > to have you identifier
> > > reflect that order, say $home_team and $visitor
> [if
> > > these are accurate of
> > > course]

I looked at the data, and it is consistent.  Then I
tried this, and it didn't exactly do what I wanted.
While the home team is always listed first in that
line, the first line of action is not always the home
team.  So while I imagine knowing the home and
visiting team will be useful down the road, it didn't
satisfy my immediate need.  Plus, there really is two
teams that I needed: the nicknames (Spurs Suns) and
the abbreviations, (SAN, PHX).  the nicknames I
wanted, at this point, for just a test: Spurs roster:
blah blah blah, Suns roster: blah blah blah.  So that
I wouldn't have to hardcode "Spurs roster."  I think
that since the nicknames and the abbreviations have a
relationship that a hash can represent, I might just
hardcode that because it might make something else in
the future easier...I can't see how to tell the
program otherwise that they are related without
writing:
%AbbrevAndNicknames = ("SAN", "Spurs", "PHX", "Suns");
 #and so on and so forth (I think i might have went on
a tangent here, apologies if this doesn't make sense.)

> ...or you could even use $team_left and $team_right,
> since those terms would
> accurately describe the relative positions of the
> two substrings within each
> line.

that would work too, but since I know home team is
left and visitor is right, perhaps I put team_left and
team_right in the comments.  Good idea though.

<snip>

> > Ok, I didn't know this.  I thought I could, and
> should
> > do it all in one or two lines.  I get confused
> about
> > what data $_ has sometimes.
>
> This is a very good indicator that you should be
> using the default $_ less and
> named variables more.  It all may look the same to
> the compiler, but since human
> error is the most likely cause of problems, it is
> more important to be as
> understandable as possible to the human reader.

Agreed.  I started with my own variables, but I had a
buddy helping me, and he thought should just use $_.
He said I'd get used to it and figure it out.  So I
just continued using $_.  But you are right though,
and I think I'll at least have the first editions of
my programs with my own variables.

<snip>

> I must confess that I am a bit at a loss as to what
> to do with the information
> at this point.  I have forgotten what your goal is
> in terms of the form of
> output information you want.  Presumably, you should
> have some structure ready
> to receive the information extracted here, so you
> can assign the value extracted
> to those structures.

No problem.  I sort of addressed it in response to
your following reply.
Your presumption is correct, that is the plan.
> > > Please review

> Are you on Windows, with ActiveState?  If so:
> Start|Programs|ActiveState ActivePerl
> 5.8|Documentation
> will get you going.

Yes, I am.  I'll try that.  Thanks.