John W. Krahn wrote:
Wc -Sx- Jones wrote:

James Edward Gray II wrote:

if (-s $output_file) {

Why are you attributing to James what Guruguhan wrote?

:)

I'm not -- however that statement was promoted into the
portion of the thread that James asked about (which I was
replying) so James can take ownership of those parts of
this thread.

There are other reasons to test for a file size prior to opening it :)

Why open a data file if it is zero length when you expect data?

What if "-s $output_file" returns true and then another process
truncates the file before you open it?

What if "-s $output_file" returns false and then another process adds
data to the file which you didn't open?

If you read back in this thread I stated that the OP needed to use a file lock -- shared read w/o write access -- so that the tests could be accomplished BEFORE another application thread destroyed the file.

If the data file was expected to have data at the time I was
planning on opening it and there was no data - an error is
logged -- I care not about what happened after the event in
question -- the file is allowed to expand and fill the entire
Universe when I release the RO lock.

At any rate we all program differently. :)

--
_Sx_ http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/ _____
perldoc -qa.a | perl -lpe '($_)=m("(.*)")' | grep Martian