On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:44:28 -0800
"R. Joseph Newton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Randy W. Sims" wrote:
>
> > On 3/27/2004 2:23 AM, R. Joseph Newton wrote:
> > > These lines should probably be going into a hash,
> > > keyed to the portion of the line before the colon.
> >
> > Don't forget that some header fields can appear more than once.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Randy.
>
> Actually, I'm pretty sure it is only the Received header that would
> ever show more than once in the main header of a message.

Read the relevant RFCs for mail message standards. I'd start with
RFC2822 and work forward from there. There are a number of header fields
which can legally appear more than once in a message. Most MTAs do
not check the message headers in detail.  They only deal with the
envelope information.  So it is easy to generate a technically
illegal message. Also note that any header can be folded, although it is
typically only the Received: headers which are routinely wrapped for
readability.

As usual when writing code against a protocol standard, be liberal
in what you will accept as valid input.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Systems/Network Architect