On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:08:33 -0600
James Edward Gray II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2004, at 8:20 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry, the previous subject should have been changed. My
> > apologies.
> >

> >   while (<FILE>) {
> >    $counter++;
> > }
> >
> > I know this is probably simple, but how would I increment by 20? In
> > other
> > words, $counter would increment 1 time for every twenty lines of the
> > file? Any
> > help would be appreciated.
>
> $counter += 20;

This is not what the poster asked. This will increment the counter by 20
for every line of the file. Something like this does what the original
poster wants:

while (<FILE>) {
        $counter++ if ! ($. % 20);
}

This increments the counter by one for every 20 lines of input. $. is
the input line counter. % is the modulo operator. See perlvar for the
details on $. and perlop for the modulo operator.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Systems/Network Architect