On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:38:48 +0530
"T.S. Ravi Shankar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At reaching a certain point in my perl program, I need to run a
> process( say XYZ ) using SYSTEM command.  The result file that this
> process would produce will be result.<process_id>.  I will have to
> wait until this result file is produced & then proceed extracting
> certain things from this file.
>
> I am implementing this as :
>
> foreach $check  (@run)  {
>
> $pid=fork;
> if($pid == 0) {
>   exec("XYZ  -a   $check");
> }else{
>   $pid1=wait;
> }

The above works, but it is equivalent to:

system("XYZ -a $check");

You should check the return value of system. A non-zero value means the
forked program returned a non-zero exit status which depending on what
you do with the output may or may not be an error.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Systems/Network Architect