John W. Krahn wrote:

From John Ousterhout at http://www.tcl.tk/doc/tclHistory.html

<QUOTE> One of the people at the USENIX presentation was Don Libes of the National Institute of Standards and Technology. Don had been wanting for

summer of 1990, and it became an instant hit among system
administrators. Expect was not only the first widely distributed Tcl
application, but for many years it was the most popular. Many of the
early Tcl users learned about it by using Expect.
</QUOTE>

I wonder, had something similar happened to Larry in early Perl days would Larry have stopped working on Perl -- Don Libes has more or less stopped working on Expect.

Semantics of what is a language and what is not I will avoid.
--
_Sx_ http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/ _____
     http://jaxpm.insecurity.org/