excellent I did not know that about system!

thanks again!

Derek B. Smith
OhioHealth IT
UNIX / TSM / EDM Teams

James Edward Gray II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
05/25/2004 02:08 PM

        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:     Perl Beginners <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Subject:        Re: array population from system app call

On May 25, 2004, at 1:03 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> cool, but why doesn't
> my @ftapes = system ("evmvol -w label_state=3|grep barcode");
> print $ftapes[0]
>
> OR
> print $ftapes[0,1]
>
> work?

Because system() does not return the program's output, it returns exit
status.

> I see that it does not support multidimensional arrays, so how do I
> implement this using system?

Multi-dimensional arrays are possible in Perl, with references.  If you
want to talk about that, please send a new message asking your
questions about that topic.

You don't do what you show with system() because that's not what it's
for.  Backticks fill that role.

James