From: Alan Stewart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 3:30 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Getting the free Microsoft compiler to compile PAR

Even though Autrijus kindly supplies pre-compiled PAR packages, I always roll my own
and I have been using VC++ 6.0. I'm sure there are other Windows users who might if it
were free, so I tried the free (and newer) Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003, also
known as VC++ 7.

I found, as many have, that it is missing some pieces. There are a number of Windows
header files not in the include dir (gee, why would Microsoft think a Windows compiler
should need Windows headers ?!?), and a couple utilities not in the bin dir. They can
be gotten for free from the SDK. Here is a good description from some Tcl people on
finding all the pieces:

http://wiki.tcl.tk/11431

Be aware that it takes a couple of Gigabytes of disk space to download and install the
SDK, while you only need about 25 Megabytes of stuff from the include/bin dirs for
Perl/PAR stuff. I installed it, copied what I needed to the Toolkit dirs and
uninstalled the SDK.

The Tcl discussion notes that some compiler options have changed. I got no errors with
PAR/ActivePerl 5.6.1, but with PAR/ActivePerl 5.8.4 I got a warning about -Gf being
deprecated in favor of -GF. I changed both occurances of -Gf to -GF in Config.pm and
built clean. You could also just ignore the warning. It still works.

HTH

Alan Stewart

**** DISCLAIMER ****

"This e-mail and any attachment thereto may contain information which is confidential
and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are intended for the sole use of
the recipient(s) named above.
Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by other persons than
the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by
telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer".

Thank you for your cooperation.

For further information about Proximus mobile phone services please see our website at
http://www.proximus.be or refer to any Proximus agent.