Ron Goral wrote:
I need to write to a log file to record things happening in a cgi
script. The environment is secured using a server-wide, shared
certificate.  I cannot write to the file and get an error telling
me I do not have the proper permissions to do so.

So, why don't you change the file permissions? Maybe it's 644 right now, and it's likely that 666 is needed since it's a CGI script.

The log file is in my web's directory, but using the shared cert.
requires a path like so:

https://secure.hostname.com/mydomain/cgi-bin/logs/logfile.log rather than:
https://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/logs/logfile.log

Those are not paths on the file system, they are two different URLs that happen to be mapped to the same file. It has nothing to do with the problem to write to the log file.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson