[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to write a search and replace script that can accept multiple
arguments, but i want the first argument to be the filename to read, the
next one to be the string to search for, the next one to be the replacement
string, and the last one to be the name of the new file it creates with the
new changes, but i can't figure out how to seperate each argument, can some
one tell me how to do something like this. Any help is very much

VIA CLI:

./replace.pl /home/oldfile "my dog spot" "your cat wiskers" /home/newfile

then in your script the are, in the the same order :

$ARGV[0] $ARGV[1] $ARGV[2] $ARGV[3]

There are modules to assist you with command line arguments as well at search.cpan.org (like using switches so that order doesn't matter, etc)

HTH :)

Lee.M - JupiterHost.Net