Please bottom post, this thread is unreadable.

> Ramprasad,
>
> thanks for the heads up on File::Tail;
>
> unfortunatley the module isn't installed and we have a very tight
> restricttions on what we can install on production servers (banks are like
> that!!!).

Sillieness (I know), but still silly.

> so I'm back needing to find a way to do it with the tell and seek
commands,

perldoc -q tail
perldoc -f select

There are also several modules in IO:: on CPAN or part of core that can
help with this, particularly IO::Select. Generally the 4 argument form
of 'select' will get you where you are going

Network Programming with Perl has excellent examples related to reading
from sockets (though any filehandle works the same) on how to use select
effectively.

Give it a shot and post more questions if you get stuck,

http://danconia.org

<snip>

> On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 18:19, Adrian Farrell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for a way to read log files in real time, so that each
time a
> > new entry appears in the file I can perform a search/query (whatever
> > really!) on it.
> >
> > it's odd really, as I expected this to be a very common scenario and yet
> > can find nothing on it!
> >
> > I think there maybe some way to achieve this using the seek and tell
> > commands but I can't quite fathom it out.
> >
> > any suggestions?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Ad

<snip>