-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Mortimore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 5:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sorting an array of hashes

I want to sort an AoH.  Not each hash by its keys, but the array by the
value of one of the keys in each hash. I know how to sort a simple
array. I know how to sort a hash by the keys. Could someone kindly point
me to the documentation on sorting arrays of hashes?

Thank you!
Chris.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

#! /usr/local/bin/perl @AoH=({office=>C,employees=>500},{office=>A,
employees=>30}); $ndx=0; foreach (@AoH){
    print "$_->{office}, $ndx \n";
    $IofH{$_->{office}} = $ndx++;
    }
foreach (sort keys %IofH){
    print "$_, $IofH{$_}\n";
    %nH = %{$AoH[$IofH{$_}]};
    print "Office $_ has employees $nH{employees}\n";
    }

jwm

Thank you John.  How to build the index and relate it back to the
original array of hashes is exactly what I was trying to figure out!
Gratefully, Chris.