Jose Alves De Castro wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 14:53, David Dorward wrote:
>> On 9 Aug 2004, at 14:34, SilverFox wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all, I'm trying to writing a script that will allow a user to enter
>> > number and that number will be converted into KB,MB or GB depending on
>> > the
>> > size of the number. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> What have you got so far? Where are you stuck? Getting user input
>> (where from)? Working out which order of magnitude the number is?
>
> I wouldn't do that (the part of finding the order of magnitude)... I
> would probably keep on doing calculations while the numbers was greater
> then 1024... and in the end, when it was, the right letter to append
> would be based on the amount of calculations done...
>
> I remember reading something about this on use.Perl ... it was a while
> ago, and I'm not sure whether it ever got into a module, but the guy had
> written some wonderful code to do this :-)
>
>> Converting between kilo and mega et al? Showing the output?
>>
>> Show us some code.
>>
>> --
>> David Dorward
>>       <http://dorward.me.uk/>
>> <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>

I haven't put anything together as yet. Putting some if/elsif statement
together would be the easies way I can think off. Something like:

$kilo= 1024;
$Mega= 1048576;
$gig= 1073741824;

print "Please enter your number:\n";
chomp($num=<STDIN>);

if ($num >= $gig)
{
        "need code to do the convertion/rounding of given number"
        print "you entered: $num\n";
        print "which is:
} elsif {
continue with the same format........

}

The problem i'm having it converting/rounding the inputted number into a
valid byte (KB/MB/GB) count.

SilverFox