To further where I'm at:

pod2html('pod2html',
  '--backlink="Back to Top"',
  '--css=http://search.cpan.org/s/style.css',
  '--infile=/modules/$pmfile'
);

So the questions are now:

What does the first argument "pod2html" do? (It was in the example)

It gives:
Can't open pod2html: No such file or directory at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/Pod/Html.pm line 371.
So I'm assuming it needs to be the path to the pd2html program, correct? When I use that, it gives me an html page (pod2html POD page) via CLI but still nothing in the browser after <body>

Do I need to print the content type header or does pod2html do that? (html to STDOUT with no --outfile)

It looks like it is necessary as pod2html() doesn't do it, at least not with the options I have.

How do I use a .pm file that has POD in it instead of a .pod file that is 100% pure pod?

Ah still the nagging question :)