OK here comes the newbie question.

I found this in a template for creating subroutines, this is the base
that is created when you use the template to create the subroutine.

So now the newbie part, why would you place "my  $par1 = shift;" in the
subroutine template, and what does it do??

Basically I am trying to find out if I need to modify the template or
not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and btw I looked at the shift function and it applies to the @_
array, which is not being used in this subroutine, and neither is @par1
, so my only guess would be that the template is creating a verifiably
empty variable called $par1 .

sub Irfan
{
  my  $par1 = shift;