On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:07:14 -0400 (EDT), Chris Devers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Errin Larsen wrote:
>
> > I am collecting temperature data from the CPUs in my system.

<<SNIP>>

> This is nitpicking, but have you considered inverting that? A format
> like this might be easier to work with:
>
>      time,cpu1,cpu2,cpu3
>      Tue Aug 31 12:00:00 EDT 2004,65,65,64
>      Tue Aug 31 13:00:00 EDT 2004,63,64,65
>      Tue Aug 31 14:00:00 EDT 2004,62,64,66
>      Tue Aug 31 15:00:00 EDT 2004,64,62,64
>
> This way, you can simply append to the file with the timestamp and the
> readings from each of the CPUs you're monitoring, rather than having to
> open the file and append to each line.
>
> The downside is that if you add CPUs, the file falls apart because you
> need to add / change / remove a column. The fix for this is to just have
> one CPU per line, and identify it:
>
>      time,cpu,temp
>      Tue Aug 31 12:00:00 EDT 2004,cpu1,65
>      Tue Aug 31 12:00:00 EDT 2004,cpu2,65
>      Tue Aug 31 12:00:00 EDT 2004,cpu3,64
>
> This is more verbose, obviously, but also more flexible.

The above is good stuff.  I'll work on this.  There are some problems,
but I'll get to them below.

> > How can I read in all the lines into their on arrays and add some data
> > to the end?
>
> For the one I've got above, it would be something like...
>
>      while ( <> ) {
>          my ($ts, $cpu, $temp) = split("," $_);
>          push (@{ $processors{$cpu} }, $temp);
>      }
>
> Then to get at the data, do something like
>
>      foreach $cpu ( sort keys %processors ) {
>          print "$cpu: @{ $processors{ $cpu }}\n"
>      }
>
> ...or something like that...

<<SNIP>>

Thanks Chris.  This is the sort of thing I was looking for!  Now I'll
go play with your suggestions some.  The problem I'm gonna have is
that the file format I suggested is really what I need.  HOWEVER, I
don't need that format when I'm collecting the data, just when I get
ready to use that data.  So I think I'll try collecting it as you
suggest in the 2nd suggestion above, and then work on a script that
will convert THAT file into the format I need.  Thanks again!

--Errin