I have two sets of data that have been stored in hashes. The first hash has amino-acid (protein) sequence data. The second hash has the corresponding DNA sequence of those amino-acids:

Hash 1
key:            value:
cat   =         mfgdhf
doq =   mfg--f
mouse =   mf-d-f

Hash 2
key:                    value:
cat     = agtcatgcacactgatcg
dog = agtcatgcatcg
mouse = agtcatcactcg

And I need to insert gaps (missing or absent data) proportionally into the DNA sequence (Hash 2) so that the output is as follows:

Hash 3
key:            value:
cat     =       agtcatgcacactgatcg
dog =   agtcatgca------tcg
mouse =         agtca---tca---ctcg

It doesn't look right here, but all the lines should end up being the same length with courier font. Basically, I am having trouble scanning though, say... hash1{cat} and for every dash found there being finally represented as three dashes in hash2{cat}. Also, every amino-acid is represented by 3 DNA letters. This is why I need to move in increments of 3 and add in increments of 3 for my final data to appear as it does in Hash 3.

Example of relationship:
M     F         D        F          = amino-acid
agt tca --- act --- tcg      = dna

I have everything else set up I just need a few suggestions on how to do the above. Any help will be greatly appreciated.