Your answer actually lies in the system that you are using first.  The reason the CGI
scripts hold the .cgi extension.  Is because that is what your webserver uses to grab
your CGI scripts from your CGI directory.

As for using perl myscript.  That is a windows thing.  If I remember correctly  (Don't
qoute me on this, because I don't use perl on windows.) but if you run your script in
the directory that you have perl installed in, you don't need the perl part.

Hopefully I have explained it clearly enough, sorry it is rather late, and I am
friggin tired, if when I read this in th morning it sounds shitty, I will reword it
and re-email it.
Drue Reeves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Truly newbie questions....

Why do some scripts have a CGI extension while other a .pl and still other a .plx?
Does the .cgi extension give it some web characteristics?

Is there a way to run my script without specifying "perl" before the script? In other
words, I want to type c:\myscript.plx instead of c:\perl myscript.plx.

Thanks,

Drue