Hi Perlers,

I know that questions like this get asked all the time, but I guess
it's just my turn to ask 'em!

I need to kick of some processes in my script.  However, the script
needs to kick them all off at once and then stick around to do some
other things.  I'm kinda new to Perl, but in my OS's shell, I'd do
this (actually, I DO do this ... this Perl script will be replacing
this shell script):

#!/bin/sh
nohup /path/to/process/one/bin/server.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &
nohup /path/to/process/two/bin/server.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &
nohup /path/to/process/three/bin/server.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &

I figure I can pass that string directly to system() in Perl,

  system "nohup /path/to/process/one/bin/server.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &";
  system "nohup /path/to/process/two/bin/server.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &";
  system "nohup /path/to/process/three/bin/server.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &";

but that invokes the shell, right?  Also, I'd like to capture the
Process ID of those 3 servers.

So I tried the above and it works, but I'd still like to be able to
leave the shell out of this.  And what about those process IDs?

One last question.  If I do the above, does the OS consider those 3
servers my scripts "children"?  I know that comes with some
responsibility (I've been looking at some things about the SIGCHLD
signals). oh, and btw, this is Solaris I'm talking about here.

Thanks guys and gals,

--Errin