> Thanks Guys this is good however what does character class inside the
> square brackets mean..
> I think I need to get mastering regular expressions book..

Read: # perldoc perlretut
and:  # perldoc perlre

which will help give you an understanding of regex's. This is only my
opinion of course, and I still have a long way to go with this, but
character classes are well defined and described within.

Note that all Perl books seem great (as far as my reading) so let me
know if you actually buy/read the book and how it is.

(I just bought Perl -- Objects, References and Modules, and it's great
so far (O'Reilly of course)).

Just my .02

Steve